Thursday, January 3, 2013

eBay's Turbo Lister: Virtualbox and Ubuntu Linux

eBay's Turbo Lister:  Virtualbox and Ubuntu Linux


    I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for a bit over a year now.  The decision to switch took in quite a few different variables, not the least of which was the customizability of Linux.  Seriously, you can change everything, and move it all over the place...that also means that you can make it look really dumb.  

    That's not to say that it's been smooth sailing.  I've run into quite a few road bumps along the way.  I'm an expert at re-installing everything now.  The most frustrating part is when I find something that I want to use, that refuses to work.

    Microsoft SilverLight is one of those things.  I can't stream Netflix on to my computer at this time.  We found a way around that by using a little device called a Roku.

    The next major road bump that I encountered was with eBay.  I've been using eBay for several months, and it's always been sort of a pain to try and get my listings up in a timely manner.  I could start with the intentions of having 3-4 up between 7 and 8 pm, but I'd be lucky to get 2 in that time period.

    Quit being so slow!  I know, I can't help it.  I like to double and triple check everything, it's not really my fault!  

    Enter Turbo Lister.  I discovered this gem while I was trying to find a program that would help me prepare my listings.  Preferably something that would let me write them up, and then post them whenever I wanted.  Only catch was that it wouldn't run on Linux, only Windows.

    So, I started up Virtualbox with my trusty Windows 7 installation and downloaded it.  Worked like a charm, there was a bit more lag than it probably has if I'm running Windows natively, but it's still pretty awesome.  I don't mind spending a couple seconds or a minute in another window now and again while I'm waiting for it to finish.

    While I was at it, I decided to make a little Youtube video.  I'm new to video making, so about all I really did was chop up a screencast of me talking your ear off.  It's 5 minutes long, feel free to take a look, and give me some feedback.  Comments are always welcome.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment